Undiagnosed hypothyroidism makes it difficult for obese individuals to lose weight. The chief reason behind this is that the thyroid hormone controls metabolism and this is the prime factor in contributing to weight loss. If you are doing all possible things to lose weight and still not losing weight, you are actually within hypothyroidism weight loss case as you are silently suffering from it.
The program for hypothyroidism weight loss resembles other weight loss programs. The frequency of the exercise sessions is different from normal individuals. Those of who suffering from hypothyroidism suffer from fatigue, they are forced to break their exercise sessions into shorter ones.
Hypothyroidism weight loss diet
A healthy diet for hypothyroidism weight loss includes elements similar to any other healthy diet. There are few exceptions to this. You need to have a diet that is high in fiber and low in processed foods. It should have lots of fruits and vegetables in it. Salt intake is usually reduced in a normal diet. But in hypothyroidism, the salt has to be there in sufficient amount. Common table salt is a potential source of iodine, but for patients of thyroid, other sources of iodine is preferred.
Interesting Questions about Thyroid:
If you have thyroid disease, your doctor can discuss which treatment is right for you. The two basic goals for treating thyroid disease are to return thyroid hormone levels to normal and to remove potentially cancerous lumps. Treatments include radioactive iodine, antithyroid drugs, beta-blocking drugs, thyroid hormone pills, and surgery. There are several types of treatment:
- Radioactive iodine is used to shrink a thyroid gland that has become enlarged or is producing too much hormone. It may be used on patients with hyperthyroidism, a goiter, or some cases of cancer.
- Surgery is normally used to remove a cancer and may also be used to remove a large goiter.
- Thyroid hormone pills are a common treatment for hypothyroidism, for patients with a goiter, and for patients who have had thyroid surgery. The pills provide the body with the right amount of thyroid hormone.
- Anithyroid drugs and beta-blocking drugs are used to treat hyperthyroid patients.
The basic goal of treatment is to return thyroid hormone levels to normal.
Hyperthyroidism makes the body work too fast because there is too much thyroid hormone in the blood. Graves’ disease is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. Graves’ disease occurs because of a problem in the body’s immune system: antibodies are produced that overstimulate the thyroid gland.
Patients who are hyperthyroid from taking too much thyroid hormone need only to have their dosage properly adjusted.
Patients whose hyperthyroidism is caused by transient thyroiditis usually do not require any of the treatments described below, since their condition gets better on its own.
Treatment for hyperthyroidism from Graves’ disease, toxic autonomously functioning thyroid nodule, or toxic multi-nodular goiter may include one or more of the following:
Radioactive iodine (I131)
Radioactive iodine shrinks an enlarged thyroid or toxic nodule or nodules that are making too much thyroid hormone. This treatment is safe and is widely used in adults with hyperthyroidism.
* Radioactive iodine (I131) is the treatment of choice for the majority of the endocrinologists in this country. It is an effective, simple, safe way to treat patients with Graves’ disease or other forms of hyperthyroidism. Patients often have fears and misconceptions about using radioactive iodine.
* Studies have been done since the 1940’s on patients receiving this treatment. Treated patients, their children, and their grandchildren do not have an increased incidence of cancer, leukemia, etc.
* There are no increased instances of birth defects in children born to mothers who have had this treatment and waited the recommended time before becoming pregnant. (Pregnancy should be avoided for at least six months after the treatment.) As a matter of fact, fertility is often restored to women whose infertility is due to hyperthyroidism. Treating the disease also lessens the chance of miscarriage.
* Pregnant women should not be given radioactive iodine for any reason. If a patient has any doubt as to whether she is pregnant, treatment (and testing) with radioactive iodine should be delayed.
* Hospitalization is not required in order to treat hyperthyroidism with radioactive iodine.
* Radioactive iodine treatment ablates the thyroid gland (turns it into something like a dried-up raisin). Patients wishing to avoid destruction of the gland should know that the thyroid gland frequently “burns out” within 15 years even without treatment.
* Radioactive iodine does not cause a person to gain weight. However, because Graves’ disease increases the metabolism, patients should keep in mind that they cannot continue to eat the way they did while hyperthyroid. Because of changes in the metabolism after hyperthyroidism is treated, many patients will gain weight . This weight can be lost through diet and exercise once the thyroid levels are normalized.
Antithyroid drugs, such as propylthiouracil (PTU) and methimazole (Tapozole®), are used in patients with Graves’ disease and, less commonly, in other hyperthyroid patients
In some cases beta-blocking drugs are prescribed to treat the symptoms of hyperthyroidism while waiting for one of the above treatments to work.
Your doctor will be able to discuss the benefits and risks of each treatment.
Many patients treated for hyperthyroidism become hypothyroid. They will need to take thyroid hormone pills for the rest of their lives. In addition, they will need to see their doctor at least once a year.
® Tapozole is a registered trademark of Jones Medical Industries.
Signs and symptoms of Hyperthyroidism may include:
- fast heart rate (100-120 beats per minute or higher)
- slightly elevated blood pressure
- nervousness or irritability
- increased perspiration
- muscle weakness (especially in the shoulders, hips, and thighs)
- trembling hands
- weight loss, in spite of a good appetite
- hair loss
- fingernails partially separated from finger-tips (onycholysis)
- swollen fingertips (achropachy or clubbing)
- retracted (pulled back) upper eyelids
- skin changes
- increased frequency of bowel movements
- goiter (an abnormal swelling in the neck caused by an enlarged thyroid gland)
- in women, decreased menstrual flow and less frequent menstrual flow
- in men, slight swelling of the breasts
- in Graves’ disease: thick or swollen skin over the shin bones (pretibial myxedema); eyes that seem to be popping out of their socket (exophthalmos).
Most of these conditions will return to normal after the hyperthyroidism is treated. Certain others may be treated separately.
Have more questions? Need more answers? Check our Full Thyroid FAQ
An effective hypothyroid weight loss program
In order to attain the goal of weight loss for hypothyroid patients, you have to include diet, exercise, food supplementation, reduction of stress, and also be educated enough to know about your condition. You should be aware of the exercise programs, lifestyle changes, and diet to reduce weight in case you are suffering from hypothyroidism. These have to be coupled with the medication that you are taking. So that you can regulate the thyroid levels and achieve weight loss. Get a thyroid test done on recognizing the symptoms of hypothyroidism. So, that you can reduce weight fast with hypothyroidism weight loss problems.
Certain tips to get hypothyroidism weight loss:
- Have all your meals on time. Avoid skipping them. You have to keep the rate of metabolism high. This will prompt weight loss.
- Do not consume high fat and high crab diet.
- You have to be active. Exercise for 20 minutes, you have to fight fatigue with will power. Do not lose hope, if you get tired while exercising as patients with low thyroid tend to get tired easily. Continue with the exercise. Do not give up.
- Calorie restriction cannot achieve hypothyroidism weight loss. A proper diet plan is recommended for this. Do not go in for crash diets, your metabolic rate is already low, it will be disastrous. You need to eat enough to stay fit and healthy.
- Drink plenty of water. It promotes weight loss and also brings about colon cleansing.
- Consume a diet that is rich in fiber. Drink plenty of juices and have salads in good proportions.
- Take detox drinks like honey lemon, or maple syrup. Your diet should be capable of flushing out fecal matter and the toxins in the bowel area. You can try Acai for this.
If you are not being able to lose weight despite trying every possible method, you should seek hypothyroidism weight loss professional help and get your thyroid tested. After that you have to follow a hypothyroidism weight loss diet if you are diagnosed with this disease. Do not worry if you are unable to exercise for long, fatigue is common in this disease. Break up the exercise regimen into several parts and get maximum benefits from the hypothyroidism weight loss programs devised by the professionals. You will become slim in no time if you follow their advice diligently.